- Patented self-cleaning design ensures ongoing peak performance
- Needlepoint ionization actively treats air in the living space
- For duct systems up to 6 tons (2400 CFM)
- Meet’s UL 2998 Zero Ozone Emission Certification
- No maintenance for the life of the NuShield
- Easily installs in any ducted HVAC system
- Patented multi-voltage input – 24VAC to 240VAC
- Flexible design with no replacement parts
- Reduces certain bacteria and viruses*
- Reduces odors, smoke and other airborne particles
- Keeps coil cleaner longer
- Integral alarm contact for remote monitoring
- Fully ETL listed
- CARB certified
- Three-year limited warranty
With technology installed in hundreds of thousands of applications, Nushield-R is a self-cleaning, no maintenance needlepoint bipolar ionization generator designed specifically for treating air in any ducted HVAC system up to 6 tons. As the air flows past the NuShield-R, positive and negative ions actively treat the supply air, reducing certain bacteria and viruses* in the coil and living space. The ionization process also reduces smoke, odors (cooking, pet, VOCs), as well as other particles (no more sunbeams) in the air. Nushield-R meets UL 2998 zero ozone emission certification.
NuShield-R treats the air in any brand of ducted HVAC system up to 6 tons (2400 CFM) in size with no maintenance and no replacement parts. Designed for universal mounting, the NuShield-R can easily be installed inside of the system using the included hardware or it can be attached using the integrated magnets. Simply connect to power using its patented multi-voltage input capability. Install downstream of the last filter in the HVAC system. Alternate mounting locations are on the supply air duct or the return air duct after the filter. NuShield-R always works at peak performance, producing over 160 million ions/cc per polarity (320 million total ions/cc), more than any other ionizer product on the market. Its patented self-cleaning design includes a programmable cleaning cycle that can clean the emitter brushes every 24 hours. NuShield-R does not create “black walls” as negative-only ionizer products will do.
Three Year Limited Warranty Nu-Calgon offers a three year limited warranty on NuShield products. For a valid warranty claim within three years, proof of purchase and proof of installation by a licensed HVAC or Electrical contractor must be provided. See full warranty at NuShieldair.com for complete details.
DISCLAIMER: NuShield uses multiple data points to formulate performance validation statements. NuShield technology is used in a wide range of applications across diverse environmental conditions. Since locations will vary, clients should evaluate their individual application and environmental conditions when making an assessment regarding the technology’s potential benefits.
The use of this technology is not intended to take the place of reasonable precautions to prevent the transmission of disease. It is important to comply with all applicable public health laws and guidelines issued by federal, state, and local governments and health authorities as well as official guidance published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), including but not limited to social distancing, hand hygiene, cough etiquette, and the use of face masks.
* See Performance Data at www.nushieldair.com
|Packaging Size||Part Number||Additional Info|
WARNING: MAKE SURE POWER IS DISCONNECTED TO THE HVAC EQUIPMENT BEFORE INSTALLATION
Fan Inlet Mount
Internal magnets holding unit to fan inlet (shaft side). Use selftapping screws to secure device, especially for high velocity applications or excessive vibration when using magnets.
Inside Wall/Cabinet Mount
Internal magnets holding unit to wall duct or air handler metal panel.
NOTE: Use Temperature - Maximum ambient temperature in
which unit shall be used: 140ºF / 60ºC.
1. Ensure power to the HVAC equipment and the circuit the NuShield-R will be connected to has been turned off.
2. The NuShield-R is designed with universal mounting-either attach with screws or affix to the system with integral magnets. Mount
near the fan inlet (shaft side) on a metal surface in the air handler, internal wall duct or external wall duct depending on what is best
for the installation. IMPORTANT: If mounting on the fan housing, ensure the NuShield-R is secured from fan vibration - use short
length self-tapping screws so as not to impair operation of fan.
3. Install the NuShield-R so that airflow is passing by both emitters at the same time (in line with the airflow indicator on the top of the
product). Make sure the unit is positioned so it obstructs as little airflow as possible.
CAUTION: ENSURE IN ALL INSTALLATIONS THAT OTHER METAL SURFACES/ WIRES ARE KEPT A MINIMUM OF TWO INCHES AWAY
FROM THE TIP ENDS OF THE HIGH VOLTAGE EMITTERS TO PREVENT GROUNDING, LEADING TO PREMATURE FAILURE
1. Confirm the power is off prior to wiring. Follow all local and national electrical and building codes.
2. Nu-Calgon recommends the NuShield-R be powered constantly but it may be switched with the system or blower.
3. The NuShield-R will self-adjust to voltages from 24VAC to 240VAC. Output and performance will not be effected by the choice of
input voltage. Connect the power wires as follows:
Black = 24 - 240VAC
White = Neutral or L2
Green = Ground
Brown = Dry Contacts/BAS Alarm
4. Wire in BAS terminals (optional) The NuShield-R is equipped with a set of dry contacts that are normally open and close when the
NuShield-R is on and has no faults. The contacts are rated up to 250VAC and 1A.
CAUTION! NEVER TOUCH BRUSHES WHILE OPERATING, SHOCK MAY OCCUR
Once powered, the unit initiates an internal check of all systems. If the auto cleaning wiper blade is not in the “home” position, it will move
to the home position in series with the airflow and a green LED on the NuShield-R will illuminate.
The NuShield-R comes with a preset cleaning cycle designed to clean the brushes once every day. The cleaning process may be
activated by pushing the clean button located on the side of the unit. To change the cycle frequency, press the cleaning cycle button
once to start a cleaning cycle. While cleaning is in progress press and hold the cleaning cycle button for 3 seconds. The LED will
start flashing. Pressing the cleaning cycle button again will change the days between cleaning. The frequency of flashes indicates the
cleaning interval. The slowest pulse level = 1 day, next level = 3 days, next level = 5 days, fastest pulse = 10 days. Pressing the cycle
button again will cycle back through the 4 different levels. If you do not push the button again for 5 seconds, the selected level is set.
1. Unit will not power up, LED not illuminated:
a. Confirm proper voltage is applied to the correct terminal(s).
b. Try an alternate power source. If using 24v try using 120v or vice versa.
2. If unit does not operate properly after verifying the above instructions please contact Nu-Calgon for additional assistance.
Download the product bulletin and other relevant literature here.
Download a low resolution file of the product label here.